Sunday, March 29, 2009

Zen Music Moment- happy Together

Ashley and I had been dating for a short time when her father told her, "I think you need to go out with other guys." She was a student at OU. I was a teacher. Obviously he was trying to protect her from the evil intent of an older guy.
She had been my student several years before, so I am sure he thought there was something fishy about our relationship. The funny thing was,there wasn't. I was trying to be a good guy about the whole thing and in fact never even kissed her until I was called "a big puss" buy my friend Mo.
So, Ashley told me about the situation and said she had accepted a date from one of her classmates. He was a guy I had actually coached in football. It was kind of a strange situation.
The rest of the story I only know second hand, but I guess you could say that i6t was the start of "Our Song."

Ashley went out on the date and they went to a restaurant with another couple. While there, a song came on the sound system at the restaurant. It was the old Turtles song "happy Together." Ash told me that hen she heard that song, she knew that she didn't want to be there with him, but wanted to be with me.

"Imagine Me and You
I do
I think about you day and night
It's only right.
To Think about the one you love
to hold them tight
so happy together"

On the way back to her house, Ashley told him that she couldn't date him anymore because she was in love with someone else. When he asked "who?" and she answered "Coach Dugan," he was in shock. I imagine he never pictured that he would be in competition with his old line coach for a girl.

From that time on, we headed in the direction of marriage, kids and a house.
I was always thankful to the Turtles for being there when I needed them. I guess maybe it would have been more appropriate if the tune had been their other song "She'd Rather Be With Me," but "happy Together" is a lot better for us to sing together. It also made a great lullaby for both of our sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment