Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Deep dives in Spotify

   I always like finding new music. It's always a cool thing to listen to a new tune that moves something in you.  It's like finding a hundred dollar bill on the sidewalk. It's a surprise and it's  a reward. 

 I take deep dives.  I used to do this on you tube, but I do it on Spotify now.

Here's how the deep dive works.

Let's say IK see a new song listed on Spotify as a suggestion, or an older tune I haven't heard in a while.  SO, I click on the tune to give it a listen.

Near the end of the song, good or bad, I scroll down to the bottom where Spotify has a category of "If you like this artist, you might like these."

I pick one of those and listen to a song by them. If it's a song or musician I find I like, I make a note of them for future listening. Then, I continue on the same pattern until I finally wear out or run out of time.

I may start out on something like, say J J Cale and by the time I have followed suggestions to whatever end, I may have ended up with a song by Black Flag or \Mastodon. I tend to pick the most esoteric of the choices given because I think it reveals a lot more music I'm not used to. 

Another thing Ashley and I have done before is do a tune exchange. She might play a song she wants me to hear. So,  then I respond with a song for her.  We will go back and forth sharing songs we like that the other may not be familiar with.

I often take music suggestions from my sons, Fletch and Corwin. Also from my friend Zach. Each ahs a slightly different twist on their tastes. 

Sometimes in my Deep Dive, I may choose a theme.

Today it's punk. Next time its prog rock and so on. 

I think the deep dives are a good thing. It's way too  easy to only listen to the same music over and over for comfort. But, there's other good music out there too. The 70's may be my favorite era, but even that era has a lot of music I may not have heard.


Put on the scuba gear and take a deep dive.

The water is fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment