Saturday, December 27, 2008

The family Music letters 08

These are letters I exchanged with "the family"... my great friends from college, hwo will be referred to in other blog entries Dec 22 Music memories to Scott, Don, Don, Dave and Mack >Today, I was at the weight room… all by myself, waiting on some high school kids to show for volunteer holiday workouts… listening to the play in the room. >There was this song, by John Miles, called “Music Was My First Love.” I had hunted for a digital copy of it for years. I first heard it on an LP that Larry Leibrand owned and I loved the song the first time I heard it. >You know, Christmas holiday, music, weights, family and my son Fletch spending the year in China have me pretty sentimental, so I was reminiscing a lot. >It made me remember sitting in the dark listening to Elton John’s "funeral For a Friend” I remember laying "Todd Rundgren’s “Something Anything “ Lp a million times. I remember some of us standing behind Mack while he listened to the Cars playing “My Best Friend’s Girl” through headphones while we giggled as he wailed parts of the song, oblivious of our presence< Every time I hear a Blue Oyster Cult song, I remember Don Pitts driving us all to Wichita to the concert only to break down on a frozen night with only Mennonites near by for help.. I remember Don Porter having me record Pete Townshend’s “Pure and easy” over and over on an 8 track tape because he loved the hand claps in it. I remember Scott scoring a bunch of Rush lps and then some Runaway Lps that we listened to all the way through. I can recall jumping around the room like wild men, playing >air guitar to Ted Nugents “Stanglehold.” >Gutty was doing power glides from the top of the desks. I can remember Stick doing the Skeleton dance to some mindless disco tunes and then playing < Al Stewart’s “year of the Cat” over and over with it’s big sax solo. One of the best things I can remember is camping out at the river, under the stars… and then that night when it suddenly started raining softly, Larry woke and sang “thunderbolts and Lightning…” and others of us joined in to finish “very Very Frightebning, Me! Galileo!” and another answered “Galileo” “Galileo, Galileo, Galileo, Figeroa! …Magnifico!” And remember, if the Barbury pirates don’t get you, then it’s the cold embrace of the sea… and that’s no lover’s kiss!” Hope all of you have a good holiday! I was thinking about all of you! ;">Charlie Does anyone have an e-mial for larry or Matt? Does anyone know hwat the hell became of Gutty? >from Don Dallas Dec 23< How well I remember. Big Jim loved funeral for a friend I'll never forget Page 2 and seeing Gene Arrendale dance to "Macho Macho Man". Remember Rita when she said to Gene "Aren't you the neatest thing". Of course, that was immortalized on the refrigerator along with the football scores and Mack's line, "I couldn't work it into the conversation." How about the line dances at Page 2? 50 girls lined up to look at and 2 gay guys for Mack to look at. It never ceases to amaze me how much effect four years of High School and Four (five for some of you) years of college has on the rest of your life. There are 10 yr. periods of my life where I don't remember much detail, but our days at Sterling I can remember like it was yesterday. Mack treated all the ladies on campus to not just a moon, but a fruit basket. Remember when Mack went through the cafeteria line and paid for his lunch with "nothing but this old eraser?" Stick, do you still have my old Adidas tennis shoes Was Mo better at handling a shotgun,a fire extinguisher or a candy machine. Don, you devil, you lost your designated driver when you made me drink beer. Scott, why didn't you order for Larry at Sonic and thanks for wrestling Stick for all of us. Charlie, I still like "Pure and Easy". We can't live in the past, but it sure doesn't hurt to take a walk down memory lane now and then. >Merry Christmas >The memories were great. They sent me scurrying into a memorabilia box, and here are a couple of pictures that I had. I also have a baseball, signed by Mack, that says "5th College Homerun One of my earliest experiences in Kilbourn was to hear >Jimi Hendrix Star Spangled Banner nearly blowing the door off of room 212.> Before I got to Sterling I didn't own an album or a stereo, then I met this guy named Charlie who had the biggest collection of albums that I have ever seen. I started buying albums, and I still have every one of them in a box in my basement. Amazingly enough I still don't have a stereo system to play them. Just yesterday, I heard Argent's song "Hold your head up" and had visions of Big Jim marching down the hallway to this song. I can't tell you how many songs come on the radio and I hear the lyrics to the song that Mo would make up. Usually something perverted, but funny. Of course, my sons are amazed that we all danced to disco, using the term dance loosely. Mostly, we just moved around looking for the "Hot Chicks". This last summer Karen and I went to Cheyenne Frontier Days and saw The Rhythm Sectio , War, Firefall and BTO in concert. There were some old dudes rockin' out on that stage! Brought back a lot of memories. >Merry Christmas boys.......and bring in the New Year safely...... Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment