Saturday, December 27, 2008

shaould have been a rock star zen moment 4

Zen Music Moment

The first few years I worked as a teacher, I would rise early each morning, usually six days a week, drive to my parents house four miles away to run in the early morning twilight of the Oklahoma morning. Cold or hot, wet or dry, Tom and I were like the post office. We delivered regardless of the weather.

There were mornings so hot that when we finished, the shoes I wore sloshed with puddles of sweat. There were winter mornings, slightly bundled against the wind, my warm breath would freeze into a white mustache and beard on my face.

On this particular winter morning, Tom and I had just finished our mileage. I went back to my car, and headed back to my house to get ready for school. I turned on the radio, and exhausted, but happy and slightly buzzed with adrenaline from a good run, it was then this Zen moment appeared.

As I crested a hill facing the east, the Beatles song “here Comes The Sun” came on the radio. The first tender guitar notes and the words “Little Darling, It seems the Ice is Slowly Melting.” Almost if on cue, it was then that the crescent of the sun peeked over the distant hills and spilled this yellow orange light across my face and hands.

I have trouble describing in my poor words the sense of joy and well-being that cascaded over me. It was a timeless moment on an Oklahoma hilltop in the midst of winter. It was the universe saying to me, “hang in there. Spring is coming.”

No comments:

Post a Comment