Saturday, January 3, 2009

Should Have Been a Rock Star- Zen Moment 5

Zen Music moment

My niece Ellen got married. It was a pretty big affair. The wedding was filled with people from both families. Dugans poured out of every corner. Ellen’s dad, my brother Keith, was actually dressed up… an unusual thing since he lived in his jeans and cowboy boots. Ellen was dressed in Ashley’s wedding dress that she had worn the January day we walked down the isle together.
The wedding was you r typical bride and groom exchange “I do’s”… and both of them looked nervous and radiant. They bounced down the aisle after being declared “husband and wife.”
After the wedding, and the family receptions, we adjourned to another place for serious post-wedding celebration. Ellen had rented a dance floor at one of south Tulsa’s hotels. There was music and the booze flowed like… well, like wine! The group of us there drank, and ate and danced to the music. It was mixed in with various drinking games, moments of Karaoke by Ellen and her brother Brian. They sang a duet together, something by Kiki Dee, I think.

The best moment of the evening was, as the music pounded louder and louder and the crowd became less and less inhibited, when Metaloaf’s song, “Paradise by the dashboard Lights” came on the system. Metaloaf has always been one of my favs. I remember featuring his first LP, “Bat Out Of Hell” when I was a DJ on campus radio. It has the only song I ever ‘soloed’ on at a Karaoke bar…”You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)”
“Paradise” just has some sort fo appeal… a song that runs about 9 minutes long, but ti had every one up on the floor, dancing and singing. As the song played on into a dialogue between the horny guy and the reluctant girl, the dance floor divided into male and female sides, the males singing the Meatloaf parts and the females singing the Ellen Foley parts. A raucous and loud, drunken rendition of Meatloaf that ended in sweaty, joyful musical reenactment of the never ending battle of the sexes.
Even I, the dancing wallflower, played my part, caught up in the swirl of m music and dance.

“And I never had a girl
Looking any better than you did
And all the kids at school
They were wishing they were me that night”

No comments:

Post a Comment